Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Lord of the Fading Lands

Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson

Sep 20, 2010

bookshelves: could-not-put-it-down-books, read-more-than-once, favorite-series, favorites, love-the-audio, fantasy, re-reading, epic-series, great-series, love, magic, not-young-adult, romance, favorite-author
Recommended to Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) by: Stacia (the 2010 club)
Recommended for: Anyone who wants the BEST of fantasy.
Read from February 11 to 13, 2015 — I own a copy , read count: 3

[Edit] Originally read in 2010. I have read this book four times now counting once listening to the audio. This is without contest my favorite Fantasy series of all. There is no way to really write a review that does it justice. It is the story, but more than anything it is the world that this author has created and the Fey and others who inhabit it. I've never read a fantasy book where magic is so beautifully done and in a way I can understand it. I love the way she has introduced the reader to the Feyan language gradually and repeatedly so by the end of the book I had learned some phrases and words, and I loved the sound of them on the audio. In a way it reminds me of the way Gaelic and the Scottish accent is used throughout Outlander until you know what the phrases mean and pick up on the words. BEAUTIFUL STORY and I am not re-reading the series again.

Original review:
Put the last book of the series down and picked this one up and read it again. On to the next one. I don't often do that! Ever. Pure fantasy, incredible romance between the Fey King, Rain Tairen Soul, and a woodcarver's daughter, Ellysetta. For the past thousand years the Tairen Soul has been in the Fading Lands of the Fey, but new threats to both the Fey and the Tairen bring him back into the world in an attempt to save the dying races of Fey and Tairen. For the first time in all eternity a Tairen Soul finds a truemate, but he must win her heart and her soul for them to be bonded as mates. If that all sounds like a strange world and language, this is a book of fantasy, and I loved it. The Fey warriors are just brought to life with this author's writing and are fun and likeable, incredibly dangerous as well as loyal, beautiful, sexy, and each of Ellysetta's five guards has his own personality. There is, of course, evil in the form of Mage's who have been working for centuries to take over the world and destroy all who live there. There are also children in this story (Ellysetta's little sisters)and their part brings in a softness of the powerful and often intimidating Fey.

Rain is bigger than life, powerful, but haunted with the souls of those he has destroyed. Because he is both Fey and Tairen (think beautiful giant panther with wings and primitive emotions) and Fey (think beautiful man), he can instantly change from one to the other and they often war within him for control. He is violent, passionate, tender, loving...... Ellysetta is very complex and learns about herself as we learn about her. Haunted by nightmares and violent seizures from childhood she senses that she is not just a normal girl, but her adoptive parents have raised her to be obedience and loving. A lot of the book is her reaction to suddenly and literally out of the blue being claimed as the truemate of a legendary Fey King and how she deals with family, the Fey, and this new unwanted fame.

This book sizzles between Rain and Ellysetta through their required courtship. Great fantasy romance. I want the next three books!

Edit - Since I wrote this review I have re-read the books two more times and listened to the great audios twice. I LOVE this series and all the characters in it (the good ones but then again the bad ones are so BAD) There is no way to write a review that explains why this is such an incredible world and race of fey that Cheryl Wilson has created. Just read them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Fading Lands.

02/11/2015 marked as: currently-reading 2 comments
02/19/2015 marked as: read

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh, I'm so glad you liked this book. :) It's such a sweet love story, but doesn't skimp on the fantasy aspect either.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Stacie, I am waiting for the fifth and last book to come from Amazon. I read the first four practically without putting them down. I wouldn't describe the love story as just sweet - it is epic, sometimes tragic, always powerful, and the only pair whose love I can compare it to are Jamie and Claire - although it is a totally different kind of story. These books (and I hate that the next one is the last)have moved up with just a few of my all time favorites.

Jennifer Is this a romance novel with sex? Or like a closed door romance?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) It is a romance with sex. I am not into smut or real graphic sex and this is very explicit - and the most beautifully written of anything I have ever read that is descriptive of real sex. I've never read anything like it - magic and sex together! You have to read it to know what I mean! It is hot.

Jennifer Thanks!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) You know this story inside out now...I am going to listen to them on audio soon, I hope! I'm dying to get back to this world...but don't have the time to reread.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I think I do but then I read or listen to it again and pick up something I must have missed....

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) That's always the case when I listen to audios of books I've already read. I love that!