Deanna's Reviews > Russell Wiley Is Out to Lunch

Russell Wiley Is Out to Lunch by Richard Hine

Sep 20, 10

Read in September, 2010

Russell Wiley is a victim of the recession and modern times.

The author stated in an interview he conducted with himself (grin) that the book is set in 2006 because that's the official year that print died.

Russell is middle management for an almost-dead business daily that is No. 4 in a world where there's no room for more than three.

This amusing, yet poignant, story leads us through several months of Russell's life. At work, he's surrounded by people who've been living The Peter Principle (I'm dating myself with that reference, lol) At home, his difficult wife seems to be spending everything she makes while he counts off the days since they last had sex.

I startted laughing at page 5 and found reason for many chuckles throughout the book.

I haven't worked in journalism, or in any corporate environment for many years, but the experiences that the protaganist has still resonated with me.

I found the story to be well-written, clever and sardonic. The ending completely surprised me, I expected something far different to happen. I don't like to be able to predict the outcome of any book, so good one, Mr. Hines!

This is an entertaining and easy read. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Russell Wiley Is Out to Lunch.