Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Alanna: The First Adventure

Alanna by Tamora Pierce

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: ya-fantasy

I read this when my children were still small. After all, it was my responsibility to introduce them to fantasy literature...er, ah,....as well as other literature that is...huh, huh,huh.

Anyway, this is an enjoyable story, you'll of course run into the character types and plot points elsewhere, but that's okay. Character types, become character "types" for a reason. Alan...Alanna is a good character, though a little, trying or even annoying at times. Still, she knows her mind!

This book has a few flaws but none to speak of (as they say). Be sure your "youth" is old enough to read this and has a good reality concept so they can deal with magic abilities, magical training, multiple gods and goddesses and so on. When you think he/she/they are mature enough this is a nice early introduction to fantasy.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alanna.

Kara Hey Mike,

Amid several choose your own adventure novels, I think this book WAS my first favorite fantasy novel! And I remembered it into my old old age, then went out and bought it.

Glad you used it as an intro to fantasy, (I would), and hope your kids enjoyed.

I noticed that the series now goes on and on, but I've only ever read through book 2. Did you make it very far into it?