Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Blameless

Sep 20, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, paranormal, shape-shifters, steampunk, vampires
Read in November, 2010

I think the gloss is falling off this series for me. I had fun with the first one, and I do still enjoy the stories and the characters, but they are becoming more annoying and I'm finding myself less and less patient with Carriger's style and tone here. It's so exuberant and so determined to be silly. She rather belabours the point, especially in her trying "Britishness".

This third outing follows on from the dramatic ending of book 2, Changeless - which I won't spoil, not to worry! But it does see Alexia on her own, back living with her odious mother and half-sisters, dismissed from her job on the Shadow Council, and with the cause of all her troubles unescapable. (That's vague, but if you read them you'll know what I mean.) With her friend, the inventor Madame Lefoux, and Floote, her butler (and everything else), she leaves the now unfriendly England for Italy and the Templars, who have a long history of association with Paranormals like Alexia. Hoping to find answers, she's also trying to escape threats on her life from the vampires, who seem determined to off her now that the unthinkable has happened.

It's rather impossible to give a decent summary without giving things away (I can't understand why I try except it's a habit), but considering this book took me a sporadic month to read - I just couldn't get into it for any length of time - it's a wonder that I can even give a summary. It was overall quite disappointing, one hurried flight after another, one attempt on Alexia's life after another, that I got quite tired of it all. Alexia is separated from her husband, Alpha werewolf and leader of BUR, Lord Conall Maccon, so there's no fun to be had there, and Alexia on her own can begin to get pretty tiring.

Still, knowing me I'll probably read the fourth one, Heartless, due out in July 2011. 'Cause there's some pretty cool stuff going on here and let's face it - they have great covers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blameless.

message 1: by Bree (new)

Bree T I found this one a bit annoying too. I really hated the way she had Lord Macoon act and the reunion scene was pretty poor. I'd have expected a lot more grovelling and apologising and making right of things! I'm hoping the 4th one is better because I enjoyed 1&2 so much

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Bree wrote: "I found this one a bit annoying too. I really hated the way she had Lord Macoon act and the reunion scene was pretty poor. I'd have expected a lot more grovelling and apologising and making right o..."

Me too. I'd like more supernatural action and fewer cups of tea, too!