Patrick Gibson's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Sep 20, 10

bookshelves: humorous, truth_sort-of
Read in September, 2010

This memoir is Garrison Keillor crossed with Augusten Burroughs. More drugs than Keillor, but less depravity than Burroughs. It's non-linear and each essay is a portrayal of an event in his life or a family member. As you read it, it becomes apparent some embellishment is going on. It's a shared wink, I think, between author and reader, and I didn't mind. He's a James Thurber for our age.

One of the shortest essays, "Big Boy," is the funniest. At a party, he has to go to the bathroom. Once there, he discovers that the toilet contains a huge, uh, product that will not flush away. Someone knocks on the door and he panics, not wanting the next visitor to think said product is his. What to do? Well, there's a window ...

In his portrayal of the childhood and teen years of his sister, the actress Amy Sedaris, he shows that she was headed to the stage at an early age. She wore fat suits to dismay her father. She made phone calls, imitating the voice of someone else. She would put fake cuts and bruises on her face and when asked how she got them, would reply, "I'm in love!"

His mockery of New York restaurants that offer absurd, overpriced meals with ridiculous ingredients stacked vertically on the plate is priceless. After the meal, he buys a hot dog, relieved to be eating something "horizontal."

I want David Sedaris and Sarah Vowel to move in with me. On second thought, maybe not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.