Alfredo Urrea's Reviews > The Diary of a Young Girl

M_50x66
Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Let me start off by saying what a great book! The whole diary began on Anna Frank’s thirteenth birthday, June 12, 1942, then ends after her fifteenth. At the beginning of her diary Anna gives you the play by play of their child hood. She gives a bright insight to her life, school, friend and even boys she likes. Anne and her older sister, Margot, are forces to attend the Jewish Lyceum in Amsterdam due to anti-Semitic laws. As they reach closers to WW2 the whole family is forced to leave Germany, and move to the Netherlands. In 1940 the family went into hiding, the Germans had invaded the Netherlands. With another family, the Franks moved into a small secret room above Otto Frank’s office where they had food and supplies. The families were able to be well informed about the event taking place outside, by a radio. Anna wrote some of the important events down in her diary. She also mentions feeling, thought on the matter. As the war continued Anna begins to feel lonesome, she doesn’t really write about her sister and mother, it is safe to say she didn’t really have to great of a connection with them. In the end Anna meets a faith not suede for anyone.
This book has a great story line. It start off with this somewhat happy little girl, to this lonely and misunderstood girl. I have come to conclude that anna was never really that happy because she didn’t really like herself. She thought she wasn’t as smart or as pretty as her older sister Margot. Also she never tells her “friends” how she feels. Later in the book, I feel she come out and says it,
I sometimes wonder if anyone will ever understand what I mean, if anyone will ever overlook my ingratitude and not worry about whether or not I’m Jewish and merely see me as a teenager badly in need of some good, plain fun.
She states she needs some fun, I believe that means she just want to be free and act like any regular kid. Anna was looking for any escape and I feel her escape was her diary because there was no one judging her, telling her what to do, and everyone was the same.
I would recommend this book to all. It leaves you thanking for everything that you have. It gives you a new outlook on life. For me it made me think that everything I have isn’t necessary, but should be thankful for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Young Girl.