Stephanie's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

May 21, 15

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy
Read from September 21 to 25, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Clarissa Fray, a fifteen year old girl is thrown into the Shadow World after witnessing a death by Shadowhunters. The first book in the Mortal Instruments series sets up a story of a world hidden to mundanes (humans) that is filled with vampires, werewolves, demon hunters known as Shadowhunters and magic.

You follow Clary through her journey of exploring the new world to her eyes and tries to figure out what happened to her mother who was kidnapped. She meets a trio of Shadowhunters, Alec, Isabelle and Jace. She also brings her best friend Simon along for the adventure.

While reading this book, I kept finding similarities to Harry Potter and the Percy Jackson series. Clary doesn't know who her father is (similar to Percy Jackson) and there are mundanes versus muggles. There is also magic but it's used by witches and warlocks. There is also flying motorcycles and transfigurations and rats and cats and a group of Shadowhunters led by Valentine that turned against the Clave which in a way was like Voldemort and his Deatheaters.

Similar themes as I pointed out but in a way this book was still interesting. It did move slowly at one point and I felt that it was dragging on but toward the end it was better with the revealing of the mystery of Clary's childhood, who her father is and she finds out another startling surprise.

Now, there is somewhat of a love story tied into this on top of all the adventure and mystery. This was really why I actually enjoyed reading the book because you want to see Jace and Clary get together but in the end, it leaves you not wanting to read more of this story because it's disturbing. The author clearly implies that there are romantic feelings between Jace and Clary but then you find out that he is her brother.

Yep, that's right her blood freaking brother. Talk about disgusting. It made me weary to want to keep reading the remaining books in the series. I even had to go online to read some spoilers of the other books to see what would happen. Needless to say, I guess there is some intrigue to want to read more. Though I am slightly hesitant. I'll still move on with the series but it's on my back burner list and I will get to it later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat I've never had interest in this series. Mainly because I don't like the book covers...LOL. But after reading your review, I'm almost positive I won't be reading these books. I guess I am not into vampires, werewolves and the like. ;) Or brothers and sisters with possible romance brewing.

Stephanie I just finished reading Vampire Academy and that is even worse than this book. I actually might keep reading this series now that I have something to compare it to. LOL ... it wasn't that bad, plus the brother and sister thing changes later on from what I read online ... I think I might be open to continuing.