Tina's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: studentrec, fiction, audio
Read in December, 2011

Lame as I am, I've been agonizing over whether to give this three or four stars -- I guess it's 3.5? Sometimes the historical documentary format worked, and I really liked just getting glimpses of what was going on, and then sometimes I felt it robbed me of details I wanted. Some of the political stuff was fascinating, and a new angle for the zombie apocalypse story, but if I'm being completely honest, the sections that most gripped me were the action-based ones of battles and survivors (Todd Wainio and Christina Eliopolis being my two favorites). Also, I listened to the audio version, which was cool in that it was a full cast reading, but lame in that it was abridged. It was pretty short, and Internet research shows me that a bunch of people's accounts were left out. Kind of makes me want to go read the print version. I was also annoyed at how few females we heard from.

Despite these complaints, I did enjoy it. It was a fast, easy and sometimes creepy listen. And like I said, most zombie media doesn't really explore government angles (and especially not in a global sense), so that was interesting and made for some pointed social commentary at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.