Laura's Reviews > Uncle Tom's Cabin

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Jan 11, 2008

Read in January, 2004

Wow. I wish this was still required reading in schools. Can you imagine: a book that was credited by President Lincoln with bringing about the Civil War, and is known to have so affected the hearts of readers that it changed their opinions of slavery is hardly read in the country whose face it changed?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncle Tom's Cabin.

03/02/2016 marked as: read

Jeff Whittum well said

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol in this case "affected" is the word you want

Laura Carol wrote: "in this case "affected" is the word you want"

I am forever confusing the two.

message 6: by John (new) - added it

John I need to read this. Thanks.

αηαηуα ∞ We still do read it in school! Just read it (8th grade)

αηαηуα ∞ We still do read it in school! Just read it (8th grade)

Laura Many schools banned this book. Did you enjoy it?

αηαηуα ∞ I personally found it interesting but I didn't enjoy the stress on religion, as I felt that the topic was overpowering the topic of slavery. It wasn't very realistic, because Tom is more a Jesus-figure than an actual slave. However, it did send some very powerful messages and ideas from the time period. :)

Laura The Beecher family was very influential in abolition, and their views and motivations were fueled by their Christian faith. If I recall, Harriet Beecher Stowe was the daughter of Lyman Beecher, a Calvinist pastor. She was married to Calvin Stowe (if my memory serves me), who was a theologian. And her brother (I think) was Henry Ward Beecher, a prominent preacher.

Richp As a modern popular novel, the religious stuff is well over the top. But, it is not a modern popular novel, it was a social commentary that was very popular and effective in its time, so that aspect is more to be admired than deplored from the viewpoint of social and literary history