Jeremy's Reviews > Throne of Jade

Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik

M_50x66
Sep 20, 10

Read in September, 2010

Dragons have never really been of high interest to me, but throw dragons in with the Napoleonic Wars, and you have some very interesting stories to tell. Naomi Novik continues her series centered around Temeraire, a rare Chinese Celestial dragon taken from the French by Captain Laurence, and brought into service with His Majesty's Air Corps. But now, he must return home at the request of the Emperor's brother, who demands all Celestials, originally only companions of the Imperial Family, be returned to said family.

The story was very gripping, perhaps even more so than the first in the series, as they travel by Dragon Transport to China, where they are thrown into a conspiracy, assassination attempts, and meet Temeraire's mother. The storyline is very clear, simple to follow, and yet just enough mystery to make it difficult to discover who is doing what until about 2/3rds through the book (at least for me).

I would highly recommend reading this book as a followup to His Majesty's Dragon, the first in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Jade.