Maggie's Reviews > After the Night

After the Night by Linda Howard

F_50x66
Sep 20, 10

Read in September, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I am a huge Linda Howard fan. This book, however, made me extraordinarily disappointed.
The writing was, of course, stellar. The story line had a lot of potential had Linda Howard not forced the romance so late in the book. When I say forced, it really was extremely rough. Typically speaking, the romance is the draw in a romance novel. I couldn't take any of the romance seriously due to the unsavory characteristics of both Heroine and Hero.
Linda Howard usually writes very strong heroines but in this book the heroine was severely lacking. The entire book, I was rooting the heroine on in seeking revenge or rather just standing up for herself and showing she was worthy of being a heroine. This never happened. She was mousy and a pushover. This is not the type of woman-character I want to read about in novels.

The hero was an even bigger disappointment. Normally, in a romance novel, the hero starts as a jerk but then slowly redeems himself by overcoming said jerkiness. This particular hero was a mean, abusive man that did no growing and wasn't a fellow that deserved the spotlight. Let me I reiterate, he was abusive. This is not a savory characteristic in the HERO of a novel. That's actually the villain in most normal fiction. May I say: What the hell, Linda Howard?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Night.