Joyzi's Reviews > Battle Royale

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: to-read, watched-it, ya-books, wishlist

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Royale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

OH MY GOD- i TOTALLY want to read this. The movie is SOOOOOOO GOOD, one of my faves XD Man the Japs are awesome. The Americans better not stuff the remake.......... >_<

message 2: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi Hey if you like Battle Royale, better read Hunger Games (it's like BR but the plot is better and the message is much more deeper and stronger)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Joyzi wrote: "Hey if you like Battle Royale, better read Hunger Games (it's like BR but the plot is better and the message is much more deeper and stronger)"

i disagree. I read the hunger games when it orginally came out and i reckon it's a copy. I don't believe its better- just another love triangle harry potter wannabe.

message 4: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi IMO the Hunger Games is much more thought provoking than Battle Royale in terms of human suffering and human nature. And also I think the Hunger Games has more complex characters than Battle Royale.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 22, 2010 05:06PM) (new)

maybe so- but battle royale was there first.
AS for complex characters- this chick has had 3 books to develop these characters. While this movie only has like an hour and a half at max (i haven't read the book so i can't comment). But i reckon it still does pretty well. Even more so in the ending scene.
WHen it comes down to the terms of human suffering - that isn't what the movie is about.
The movie is about how the government uses fear (like terriosts) to control it's nations. How when it comes down to it, even kids will murder to survive, how parents couldn't even cope and commited sucide. It's not about human suffering per sai, its about what lengths people go to survive in a world as mucked up as such. TO survive.
But one of the main things i find that hunger games doesn't have- is that touch of realism. THey are both set in the future, but hunger games doesn't have references to the weaknesses of girls, like- katness had to get her period sometime. But nope, she's a robot. Also, it's made out that all the other players are complete dosh bags. What about them? I find it doesn't have that same touch like how eveyone on the island actually KNEW each other. They knew their weakneses and strenghs because they went to SCHOOL with each other. I found that part was what really made the movie what it was. It's not like in Hunger Games when they can believe the enemy is a monster because their from another secter and they don't know them.
In Battle Royale, they've protected, helped, played all with each other many times before hand.
That's what the true horror was about- not just there age and there actions.
What about the fear? The suspense. I didn't actually feel that much suspense in the books about which one will die next while the movie had it down pat.

Anyway, when it comes down it. Who really cares.
I like Battle Royale and wanna read the original book while you prefer Hunger Games.
Good 4 U.
End of Story.

message 6: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi Yep! It's cool I like Battle Royale too (don't get me wrong) but I still prefer Hunger Games lol.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

hmm....... >_<

message 8: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi Peace out V(^_^)_

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

ahahahah. nice.