Lady Rogue's Reviews > The Viking Takes a Knight

The Viking Takes a Knight by Sandra Hill

F_50x66
Sep 19, 10

I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** In order to protect Henry, King Edgar's illegitimate son, the Rainstead Orphanage, and prevent Commander Leo of Loncasterher from forcing her into marriage with him, Ingrith Sigrundottir decided to flee. After she seperated the orphans into groups and assigned each group, a member of the staff, she sent them to various sanctuaries. Ingrith also took a small group, along with Henry and Ubbi, her old bodyguard and sought refuge at Lord John Grave's Home, Hawk's Lair.

John had no intention of getting involved in a serious relationship, he was more interested in experimenting with his bees and honey. But, when Ingrith showed up with a group of children and an ornery old man, he was easily distracted. After reluctantly granting refuge, he began to see, his honey wasn't the only thing that was sweet.

I loved the chemistry between Ingrith and John. She was strong willed, determined and had a good heart. She quickly fell in love with John, but she believed his refusal to marry her was because, he was in love with Johanna, his former mistress. Especially after learning Johanna had turned him down for marriage. John wanted nothing more, than to have wife and children, but believed he had tainted blood. Johanna had been safe, she was a widow and couldn't have any more children. But, the longer Ingrith and John were together, he began to fall in love with her. Soon, thier relationship grew from honey sweet to sizzling hot....things begin to look hopeful to Ingrith.

Then the letter came from Commander Loncasterher informing John, he had taken Johanna as a mistress. It was a subtle message offering a trade, Johanna for Henry. John immediately goes to Johanna's rescue leaving Ingrith behind, to wonder what was happening. When she didn't hear word from John, she decided, she would trade herself for Johanna. But, when she arrived, she learned that John and Johanna were betrothed and that Johanna was returning with him to Hawk's Lair. Broken hearted, Ingrith returned home to her father.

Not only where the main characters enjoyable, but the supporting characters were fun as well. I loved Blothor and his warped sense of humor, especially when it came to his comical songs. I also enjoyed Katherine's character. She was always in Hawk's face blunt. You can't help but laugh, when she calls hawk a lackwit...basically a dumbass.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. In true Sandra Hill fashion, she managed to mix her romances with modern day humor and historical flair. I love that her characters are very engaging and realistic. Several of her characters remind me of people, I actually know. The Viking Takes A Knight is one of those books, that will have you constantly smiling and making those around you, wondering, what you are laughing at. If you like witty repartee, sweet obsessions, engaging characters and a solid plot, then you will enjoy this fun and light-hearted book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Viking Takes a Knight.