Simone's Reviews > Weight: The Myth of Atlas and Heracles

Weight by Jeanette Winterson

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: 2010-read
Read on September 19, 2010

On the plane from Wenatchee to Seattle, I decided to take a break from Cormac McCarthy to try my hand at some Jeanette Winterson. One of my co-workers mentioned her to me, and I liked the sound of her writing from some of the quotes I had read.

This was obviously a really quick read, but I really liked it. I thought the style (a lot of repetition, multiple narrators) could have gotten really annoying in a longer book, but worked in this context. For me the repetition really provided an anchor.

Sadly, my Greek mythology (much like my knowledge of Roman history) is a bit fuzzy at best. I feel like someone with a better foundation would have been even more richly rewarded. I checked a bunch of her other books out of the library, so I'll definitely be looking into those.

"I realize now that the past does not dissolve like a mirage. I realize that the future, though invisible, has weight.We are in the gravitational pull of past and future. It takes huge energy - speed of light power - to break that gravitational pull."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Weight.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca You need to check out Gut Symmetries. Tasha Long gave it to me to read in college, and it's quite beautiful. I think you'd appreciate it.

Simone Thanks, I will definitely check it out!