Laura's Reviews > The Bad Beginning

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: childrens-books-novels, do-not-own-anymore
Read in September, 2010

I was given a small pile of books to read (small being only 3 books) and one of them was this book. I wasn't reading it for myself, so to speak, as I was reading it to tell my mother if it was worth her time. She's a teacher and wanted to find a good fun book for 7 year old kids.

So what did I think overal?

I wasn't that impressed by it. I could see it might be cool as a tv show but the style of writing got in the way. I really disliked how the author kept feeling the 'need' to explain words to its readers. I know, I know, for young children but I was told it can be just as distracting to them as well. Explaining the words disrupted my line of thoughts.

I felt a chill as a read through the pages, thinking this book surely wasn't for little children. On the back of the book it's mentions '10 and up' which I think is fine. Children of that age might get a little scared from this book but for children younger or for children who don't have a very happy home life, imo, it's worth putting back on the shelf.

Mind you the author does have a good way with making things feel morbid and/or sad so I'll give Lemony that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Beginning.