Kristen Mcchesney's Reviews > Manneken Pis: A Simple Story of a Boy Who Peed on a War

Manneken Pis by Vladimir Radunsky

F 50x66
Sep 23, 2010

bookshelves: multicultural, picture-books

I really adore this story. I love that it is a story about war that children could appreciate and understand. The emotions behind living through both war and peace are clearly told. The illustrations are a perfect match for the story, as well. I think the "historical" origin of the tale gives it more weight and therefore, could be useful in a History or English class that deals with ideas surrounding historical truths, oral histories or how legands are formed. The peaceful message of the book is told in an extremely sweet and clever way - with the people stopping their fighting to laugh at the boy peeing. I would use this with students of a variety of grade levels to show a number of lessons - war and peace, the power of one person to change the course of history and the use of fact and fiction within the telling of history. I think this book would be a great way to prove that a complex topic can be viewed in a simple manner (through a children's story) - yet, still revel a powerful message.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manneken Pis.