Kristen Mcchesney's Reviews > The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain

The Wall by Peter Sís

F 50x66
Sep 23, 10

bookshelves: picture-books

This book is amazing on so many levels. I think it would be a wonderful first person story of life "behind the Iron Curtain" that would work wonders in a classroom. Students would totally connect with the desire to express yourself and be free and to do as you wished but, not being able to because of those in positions of power (whether parents, teachers or the government). I think the use of black and white with the hints of color throughout was beautiful, subtle and provides interest and emotion to the drawings. Using the red to symbolize the star and flag of Russian dominance and the use of a variety of colors to show freedom, music and his own drawings as a child and young man was a stroke of brilliance. The interwoven nature of the factual history and his own story (complete with his journal entries) give the story an incredible amount of complexity and usefulness in a classroom. Autobiographical stories that contain historical events always connect in meaningful ways with students. Also, there is so much information packed into this picture book that you could branch off into a ton of different subjects matters - discussing historical figures and events and even vocabulary terms. I could use this easily in my secondary history classes and I think the students would love it. It is a great resource.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wall.