Laurie's Reviews > Psyche's Gate

Psyche's Gate by Dani Smith

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: paranormal, romance, kindle, angels, devils, mythology
Read from September 17 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy

Psyche is an extremely gifted young, unknown artist who is struggling day to day to earn enough for life’s necessities. Seemingly, out of the blue, she is offered a commission to paint a mural for a very wealthy, generous benefactor. She is overjoyed, believing her dreams will be fulfilled. What she finds instead is a nightmare of celestial dimension.

Shunned by his Immortal brethren, Alexius is a tormented soul cast out from his home thousands of years ago because of a consequential error in judgment. He has finally been given the opportunity to regain his rightful position as one of the highest ranking and most fierce of the Angelic Warriors. His mission is simple – the mural must not be created.

This novel casts the eternal battle of heaven and hell, good and evil into a sonorous mosaic. Very little is as it seems. This time the battlefield is on earth and Psyche the unwilling pawn upon which the outcome hinges. It takes every ounce of strength and determination that Alexius possesses to protect his beloved Psyche.

It is difficult for me to describe how very unusual and haunting this story was for me. The sentence structure flowed with a rhythmic cadence that was glorious. The author flawlessly created a gothic, brooding type atmosphere that was maintained throughout the entire book. The cadence of the story pulsed with lyrical complexity. Filled with Angels, Demons and all manner of other denizens of mythology this story will at times astound and shock with its brutal, unflinching candor.

Be aware that there is, on occasion, frequent and repetitive use of the “f” word. At times, this became rather off-putting to me personally even though I do not consider myself to be particularly prudish. It is my feeling that some of the conversations would have benefited without the obscene slang. I recommend this book to anyone who likes stories of immortal conflict written in a dark, gothic tone with richly patterned descriptions and who can overlook occasional excessive profanity.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psyche's Gate.