Riv's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: realistic, favorites, 1st-of-series
Read from July 16 to 18, 2011

Cute. Funny. Smart.
Um. No. Definitely not any of those three.
Adorable. Hysterical. Brilliant.
That's more like it!
Anna and the French Kiss was absolute genius. The characters are all amazing, and Stephanie Perkin's attention to detail didn't cease to amaze me. For example: There's a whole thing with Etienne St. Clair's nail-biting habit. Stephanie brings it in without making it obvious (through most of the book).
This isn't something that happens to me often. I don't usually get so attached to characters in a stand-alone. But I didn't want this story to end!!!!!!!!!!(!!!!!)(!!!!)(!!!!)(I can't stop!!!!)(!!!!!!)

Another thing I love: The names. I understand the significance of what a character is called. In my writing, I have characters with multiple pseudonyms, and I choose what to call the characters depending on what's happening in the scene. It happens later on mostly, but Stephanie Perkins definitely understands this as well.

I have a serious urge to have a battle. I dub thee...
THE BATTLE OF THE ST. CLAIR'S
COLE
VS.
ETIENNE

(FYI I'm totally going to do this on my blog sometime.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

Quotes Riv Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“A moment of reserve. "That was it? The whole story?"
"Yes. God, you're right. That was pants."
I sidestep another aggressive couscous vendor. "Pants?"
"Rubbish. Crap. Shite."
Pants. Oh heavens, that's cute.”
tags: cute

Stephanie Perkins
“I'm not sure how to order."
"Easy," Josh says. "Stand in line. Tell them what you want. Accept delicious goodies. And then give them your meal card and two pints of blood."
"I heard they raised it to three pints this year," Rashmi says.
"Bone marrow," Beautiful Hallway Boy says. "Or your left earlobe.”

Stephanie Perkins
“French name, English accent, American school. Anna confused.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Madame Guillotine gets mad at me. Not because I told them to shove it, but because I didn’t say it in French. What is wrong with this school?”

“Har. Bloody. Har."
He smiles. "Oh, I see. Known me less than a day and teasing me about my accent. What's next? Care to discuss the state of my hair? My height? My trousers?"
Trousers. Honestly.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Most people in Atlanta don't have an accent. It's pretty urban. A lot of people speak gangsta, though," I add jokingly.
"Fo' shiz," he replies in his polite English accent.
I spurt orangey-red soup across the table. St. Clair gives a surprised ha-HA kind of laugh, and I'm laughing too, the painful kind like abdominal crunches. He hands me a napkin to wipe my chin. "Fo'. Shiz." He repeats it solemnly.
Cough cough. "Please don't ever stop saying that. It's too-" I gasp. "Much."
"You oughtn't to have said that. Now I shall have to save it for special occasions."
"My birthday is in February." Cough choke wheeze. "Please don't forget.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Girl scouts didn't teach me what to do with emotionally unstable drunk boys.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I just can't fathom why anyone would stand on a ledge when there's a respectable amount of walking space right next to it.”

“I'm sorry," he says.
"What? Why?"
"You're fixing everything I set down." He nods at my hands, which are readjusting the elephant. "It wasn't polite of me to come in and start touching your things."
"Oh, it's okay," I say quickly, letting go of the figurine. "You can touch anything of mine you want."
He freezes. A funny look runs across his face before I realize what I've said. I didn't mean it like that.
Not that that would be so bad.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I don’t care what he thinks. Only what you think.” He holds me tighter. “Like if you think I need to stop biting my nails.”
“You’ve worn your pinkies to nubs,” I say cheerfully.
“Or if I need to start ironing my bed spread.”
“I DO NOT IRON MY BED SPREAD.”
“You do. And I love it.”
Stephanie Perkins, Anna and the French Kiss

07/17/2011 "Two words: Fo' shiz I was laughing my head off. Serious ROFLing"