Alicia's Reviews > Fallout

Fallout by Ellen Hopkins

Sep 19, 10

I cannot describe how inspiring and absolutely escapist Hopkins' work is. I have never been in a place to experience most of any of her diverse characters situations, BUT her writing inspires so much emotion and heartfelt hurt, anger, and compassion for the characters that it doesn't matter what my life experiences have been.

She is magic. Her books cannot come fast enough for me to consume. Each time I have a release date for a book of hers, I need to block out that day to read it, they're too tempting to sit on a shelf while life goes by and not read it to completion.

I'm comfortable enough to say I got goosebumps as I neared the final pages of the triology of Kristina and shed a tear when I read her "author's note" knowing that I would never know more of what Hopkins' wanted us to know about her. The rest is up to my imagination.

She couldn't have picked a better set of situations for the last book, with a finer set of characters and perspectives. I cringe when author's divert from the stars of their novels (case in point Linger by Stiefvater and New Moon by Meyer) but Hopkins brought it home the way only she can. I've never read a more powerful YA author and wish she would travel to the east coast so that I could meet her and tell her so.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallout.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Suzanne Which do you think I should read first, knowing my tastes?

Alicia Julie wrote: "Which do you think I should read first, knowing my tastes?"

Probably Burned-- I think you would like the main character Pattyn. Then Impulse and of course Crank whenever you have time to read the triology. The others are definitely more gritty.