Chris's Reviews > Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller: Oil and the End of Globalization

Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller by Jeff Rubin

F 50x66
Feb 23, 11

bookshelves: made-me-think
Read from February 15 to 23, 2011

An accessible and often engaging introduction for the layperson (and I am definitely a layperson on these topics) on the concept of "peak oil" and the effects that diminishing oil supplies will have on the world we live in, where cheap transportation costs have enabled a large degree of globalization. There are some interesting tangents in the book, as well - a few pages on coffee were particularly interesting. I had no idea that Lloyd's of London could trace its history back to a coffeehouse named Lloyd's, for example.

An added bonus for me - this book was written by a Canadian, so Canada was well represented in the examples he used. Not just the competing economic/energy potential versus environmental impact of the Albertan oil sands, which were certainly germane to the book, but also in certain cultural comparisons. The swallowing up of farmland around Toronto by urban sprawl makes the memory of farms just outside the city as "hazy a memory as the Toronto Maple Leafs' last Stanley Cup parade." (1967, by the way. Go Leafs!) By no means do I mean to imply that the rest of the world is ignored. The world's oil-producing nations and its oil guzzlers are all well represented. I just enjoy the occasional shout out to Canada, eh.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller.