Angela's Reviews > Witchling

Dec 03, 14

did not like it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, dnf
Read from March 07 to 08, 2011

Warning: I only got 35% into the book. And I freely acknowledge that things could get better. But I couldn't force myself further at this point.

Just some random thoughts on what I did read.

*Characters are one-dimensional. And really not smart. They supposedly were half human/half fae, but even though they lived for years in 'Otherworld' they really didn't know anything. The main character has this contempt for humans, and disregard for what she's supposed to be doing that got on my nerves.

*Told, not shown.

*Info-dump hell! Gah! Where is the natural lay of information. I kept getting lost.

*There's supposedly this HUGE need to move quickly, or the villain (Bad Ass Luke - c'mon!) is going to bring the demons to earth. And yet the heroine has time to take her sister to Vampire's anonymous, have sex with her ex-lover (who apparently has her in thrall!) and worry about getting new shoes while standing over a dead body that was murdered feet from her.

*There's absolutely no logical reason for these three sisters, who are messed up, to work for this Otherworld Intelligence Agency and have to deal with this case of murder, and possible invasion from the demons. Camille is a witch that can't control her spells in the best of circumstances. Her one sister is a newly turned vamp with some more control issues, and her other sister turns into a tabby cat at the slightest sign of stress. Really? These are the operatives you chose to put in charge anywhere, much less something that sounds this important?

*Repetition - I don't care what she's wearing. I don't care about the silver flecks in her eyes (for the 10th time). And I certainly don't need information that they (and I) just read from a book to be repeated to me by character dialogue.

Too much bothering me to continue. Maybe someday - far, far in the future - I'll decide to give this another go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchling.

03/07/2011
30.0% "Characters seem a bit one dimensional, feel like I'm being told everything - does this get better?" 1 comment
03/08/2011
35.0% "I can't read this right now."

message 1: by Kristie (new)

Kristie I have this on my list. Let me know if it gets better or if I should save my money.

Angela I'm not even sure I want to continue right now. But I'll defo let you know. I'm thinking of giving it to 40%

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee I couldn't finish this one. It's been a few yrs, but I just remember that it felt really derivative.
Fortunately, there are so many other, better series out there, so it wasn't hard to put this one down.

Angela Agreed Renee. It got to the point, very quickly, where I was thinking about everything else I have in my TBR pile.

Bark's Book Nonsense You made a good choice. This one does not get better!

message 6: by Em (new) - rated it 1 star

Em I gave up on page 40, mainly because of info-dump hell. It was such a drag to get through, and the reviews on here showed that it wasn't worth suffering through.

Angela Yeah, the info-dumping was super annoying. I've still never seen a review that made me regret giving this book up.

message 8: by Em (new) - rated it 1 star

Em Even the positive reviews aren't convincing enough.

Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder* Sigh, I have this one to read, even if it is only borrowed. I'll DNF if I need to.

Angela I hope you end up liking it better than I did! But DNF is definitely my friend. LOL