Twobusy's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Sep 19, 2010

Read in August, 2010

First 200pgs = 4 weeks to slog through. Last 350 pages = 4 days to fly through. I'd like to go back in time and retroactively kick in the groin whomever (Larsson, editors, the publisher) was responsible for the horrifying borefest of the first 200 pages... because: sweet lord, did that suck. Having said this, I also have to admit that somewhere just after page 200 it's like someone flips on the pilot light and FWOOOM! The entire plot suddenly come ablaze with light and energy. That's not to say that it's a brilliant or flawless work - because it's neither; not by a long shot - but the last 350ish pages were good enough to galvanize me to agree to read the next one in the series. To those of you who haven't read it yet and are wondering if it's worth the effort... I'll say yes. It's like going on a hike where you spend a month pushing through malaria-infested swampland... and then suddenly finding yourself on a mountain ridge 6000ft up with breathtaking views, and spending the next four days enjoying the sights with such speed and ease that you almost (but not quite) forget the price you paid to get there.