wally's Reviews > Dark Rivers of the Heart

Sep 19, 2010

bookshelves: koontz
Read in January, 1994

heh heh!

there's a blurb, one of many, from the orlando sentinel: "as it appears, george orwell was ten years late, and it is left to dean koontz to add the finishing touches to an orwellian future that is here and now. one of his best novels."

i chuckle because of so many takes i've read from others who flam-beau koontz for his vision...ha ha ha ha! i mean, i've often wondered if when our elected newbies get to where they're going if they're not taken into a room, w/o any windows or doors....work w/me...and they're introduced to our handlers, shape-changers who in turn change them, into something acceptable.

great story, some sci-fi elements, big-chase elements, powers-beyond-our-control elements...a great dog, rocky, who is built for speed and enjoys it as well. big black chrysler limousines, helicopters.

spencer and valerie, right, they meet by chance. valerie is more than a waitress in a cocktail lounge. and spencer has a past that plays a part. "he had good reason not to dwell on the past." (an idea that comes back a time or two in may of koontz's stories, like his latest novella/novel, 2010...what's it call?....shoot me) mormons and guys in suits, hardware in armpits. nice, too, the idea that is also present in other koontz stories, a kind of network of resistance.

i know i've read this one at least twcie, probably three times. well worth one read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Rivers of the Heart.