Matt's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Dec 23, 10

bookshelves: favorites, own-it
Read in December, 2010

The Sound and the Fury is an object that gets blurrier the closer you get; it's a glimpse through curling flower spaces; it's the smell of a flower that brings back bad memories; it's wailing and the ringing of church bells echoing in a dusty Southern void. Faulkner finds profundity by never telling you the important events, but rather by weaving a language of private symbolism. It is the language of omission, with each word heavily weighed against the next, sound and fury signifying nothing but somehow sticking in the back of your skull and forcing you to fill in the missing parts as though you had experienced them yourself. It's a story about the heaviness of destiny, about the curse of being trapped in your "ordered place," and about selfishness. It's a broken mirror of semiotic fragments: shadows, birds on wires, the space between clouds. It's the most beautiful summation of futility I've ever read; it's not a story, but a movement within me, a strange and passing feeling that I did not understand, but rather felt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.