Catherine's Reviews > Tempted by His Kiss

Tempted by His Kiss by Tracy Anne Warren

Jan 23, 11

bookshelves: england, historical, rape-abuse, read-2011, romance, series, spy
Read from January 22 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy

This wasn't a bad book, but I wasn't really wowed by it either. My favorite part of the book was in the beginning before they hatched that stupid plot. The friendship and connection felt way more genuine than later in the book. Perhaps that was because there was no focus beyond them interacting together.

I liked Meg in the beginning, although I was taken aback by her out of place mothering over a relative stranger. I just found it odd that she would have the gall to bring up her host's drinking and eating habits when he didn't even invite her to his home. Other than that she felt earnest and helpful and it was easy to like her.

That all changed the further into the book I got. Apparently Meg decided the book needed a village idiot and decided to elect herself. I just cannot believe how many times Meg decided that something couldn't be accomplished without her help and jumped in only to foul it up. It got repetitive and boring and I missed the early Meg.

Cade had a serious past tragedy that I was surprised to see. Usually the author will assign a hero or heroine a tragic past with no real tragedy occurring. It just makes the person seem silly and dramatic instead of tortured and sympathetic. Here the tragedy was actually tragic.

The issues in this book were dealt with using a light hand. No real concern was evinced over the fact that Cade and Meg had a relationship even though they weren't going to be married. Shouldn't that not have been treated as lightly as it was? I don't know, it just seemed like a big deal to me.

Despite my complaints I still found the book pleasant and engaging. It had a very readable style that made the pages turn quickly. I've heard good things about the later books in this series so I still plan to read on. Here's hoping that I'll like those ones a bit better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempted by His Kiss.

01/22/2011 page 62
16.0% "Oh no! I just learned about what happened in his past with the girl. That is awful! And knowing my husband's mentality, I can honestly say that's the kind of thing that would destroy a man." 12 comments
01/22/2011 page 119
31.0% ""Marry...Are the pair of you insane?" "Not at all. It is a thoroughly sound plan." Edward huffed out a breath. "It is a thoroughly idiotic plan.""
01/23/2011 page 314
82.0% "Well thank God you were there to foul up the plan you idiot woman."
01/23/2011 page 362
94.0% "This book actually ends on page 362, not 384."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored I usually like how she writes, but I confess that I don't remember most of what happened in this book :D

Catherine This is my first book by her. I'm planning to continue on because I was rec'ed a later book in the series, but this one is pretty average so far.

Aly is so frigging bored I love the one with the Duke, there's a scene there with a dress that I find hilarious.

Catherine Cool, I hope I enjoy it too.

message 5: by Katyana (new)

Katyana Boo, too bad it went downhill after that opening. :(

Catherine Katyana wrote: "Boo, too bad it went downhill after that opening. :("

It was disappointing because I really felt like it had a lot of potential. They seemed like they were bonding and I just love romances where the characters are actually friends in addition to lovers.

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] I totally agree with your review, all the points you mentioned. The beginning was so good ... *sigh* :/

Catherine Punya H. wrote: "I totally agree with your review, all the points you mentioned. The beginning was so good ... *sigh* :/"

I agree. I guess it's a point in the author's favor that the beginning was so good, but it made the rest of it even more of a let down than it would be otherwise.