Jill's Reviews > Thimble Summer

Sep 18, 2010

bookshelves: newbery-medal
Recommended for: 9+ or younger for read-aloud
Read from September 18 to 20, 2010

This won the Newbery in 1939. After I read The Cat Who Went To Heaven (1931 Newbery winner) I was a little gun-shy about the 1930s winners. I was starting to think all the early Newberys were duds but this book proved me wrong! It's a quick read and a nice feel-good story. The author has a way of describing things that reminds me of my relatives in Western Pennsylvania--descriptive and colorful but no frills language that gets to the heart of what's going on. I love that kind of story telling. The character Mrs. Eberhardt really reminds me of my Grandma Corfield (know what I mean, Mandy?)

Here are some descriptions I liked:

"It was too hot to eat. Garnet hated her cereal. Donald whined and upset his milk. Jay was the only one who really ate in a business-like manner, as if he enjoyed it. he could probably eat the shingles off a house if there was nothing else handy, Garnet decided."

"The watery air was cold against her face and as she looked the many-branched lightning stood for an instant on the horizon like a tree on fire."

Mrs. Eberhardt: "My we had awful winters then. We used to be snowbound for weeks at a time. We kept the fires burning day and night and I remember wearing three pairs of woolen knit stockings and so many flannel petticoats I must have looked like a cabbage wrong-side up."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thimble Summer.