Amanda's Reviews > It's a Book

1219253
Oct 14, 13

bookshelves: kick-ass, blog, in-praise-of-books

Dear Amazon Kindle,

Do you know what else is portable? Do you know what else allows me to read anywhere at any given time? Do you know what else I can read on a beach or in any light? Do you know what else has crisp black and white contrast for easy reading? Do you know what else I can fit in my purse? Do you? Do you?

A book.

I'm not a technology curmudgeon (although my use of the word "curmudgeon" alone probably indicates that I'm well on my doddering way into geriatric-ville). There have been many technological advances of which I'm quite fond--just try and pry my iPod out of my cold dead hand. However, when it comes to technology, I see two categories: 1) technology that saves time and adds to the quality of my life and 2) status technology. For the most part, I think e-readers and their ilk fall into status technology. It screams "hey, look at me and my nifty gadget." Sure you can download several books within seconds, but going to a bookstore and browsing through the selections with a cuppa joe in my hand is one of my favorite things. I like walking around, basket on my arm, adding to it any item that catches my fancy. I like agonizing over which of my carefully selected books will be going home with me as I weigh my wants against what my meager bank account will allow me to have. I love the feel of books, the smell of books, the covers of books. I love turning pages. I love seeing what others are reading.

And that's why I love It's a Book. In a world of techno-abundance, it reminds the jackasses of the world that the book is already perfection.

Cross posted at This Insignificant Cinder and at Shelf Inflicted

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's a Book.

Comments (showing 1-32)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 32: by Kemper (last edited Sep 28, 2010 06:34AM) (new)

Kemper I sometimes think that you're going to launch a Tyler Durden-style guerrilla campaign against e-book manufacturer's and re-sellers.

message 31: by Gary (new)

Gary Go Girl! Kick the Kindle till it emits a pitiful squeal of electronic pain!

Amanda Kick it until it's little screen goes dark! Muey-ha-ha-ha!

Amanda Oh, and I have thought about going all Tyler Durden on the Kindle. However, it would drastically interfere with my rampant consumerism and the time I spend worshipping at the altar of my material possessions. If it weren't for that, though, I'd give Amazon hell.

message 28: by Kemper (new)

Kemper The first rule of Kindle Destruction Club is that YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT KINDLE DESTRUCTION CLUB!

message 27: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Two words, my friend. Free. Books. That I don't have to take back to the library. Or return to a friend.

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I agree with Mrs. Clements here! Plus, you can still browse books in a bookstore when you have a Kindle. Just browse them, take notes of the ones you are interested in, then later, buy them for your Kindle :)

Amanda Nope. I refuse to give in! I look at buying books as a pleasure and a privilege. It's the only thing that keeps me working for my money!

message 24: by Gary (new)

Gary I agree Amanda. I spent a delightful hour browsing and chatting to the book sellers the other day and bought 3 books and then on the way out spotted the recent Carl Hiaason at half price for a hard back and immediately went back and bought it - feeling very pleased with myself. I would not get the same pleasure from buying e-books. I just know I wouldn't...

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I got a Kindle for free, or I wouldn't have one. One advantage is that you can do secret reading at work much easier then I can with a printed book.

message 22: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent I like eBooks when they're printed on paper and bound for easy reading.

Amanda Dan wrote: "I like eBooks when they're printed on paper and bound for easy reading."

Those have really been a revolutionary advancement in reading. I especially like the ones with the amazing "flip the page" technology. It makes me feel involved. And I like that.

Amanda Gary wrote: "I agree Amanda. I spent a delightful hour browsing and chatting to the book sellers the other day and bought 3 books and then on the way out spotted the recent Carl Hiaason at half price for a hard..."

And that's what I'm worried we'll lose out on. Just the experience of having a community of readers and a "hub" around which we all revolve. I love going to a bookstore and just peeking at what everyone else is reading, striking up the random chat about an interesting title, and browsing through the displays for those serendipitous little discoveries. And I applaud your choice of Carl Hiaasen!

message 19: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Whenever I see someone reading in public, I always try to get a glimpse of what they're reading. Always. Chatting with the regulars down at the used bookstore is always a pleasure and it's even better if I get steered toward a literary gem I would have overlooked otherwise.

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy Amanda wrote: "And that's what I'm worried we'll lose out on. Just the experience of having a community of readers and a "hub" around which we all revolve. I love going to a bookstore and just peeking at what everyone else is reading, striking up the random chat about an interesting title, and browsing through the displays for those serendipitous little discoveries."

I love this, too, but I do feel like I get this kind of interaction with other readers, get a glimpse into what others read, and also find lots of really fascinating things here on goodreads.

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Besides free (or very cheap) books I don't have to give back, there is the added benefit of having more shelf space for the books that I know I actually want to keep. More shelf space? Never a bad thing. Especially when books just keep pouring into this house. I got my Kindle right before we left on a cruise a year or so ago, and having travelled with it a lot, let me tell you, packing one small Kindle is a lot better (weight and space-wise) than packing all the books I would need on a long trip. Amanda, I'm almost (I say ALMOST) as big a book hound as you are, but you'll never convince me that a Kindle is the anti-christ. Or anti-book, as the case may be. God knows it certainly hasn't stopped me from purchasing more paper and ink books than I'll probably be able to read in this lifetime.

Amanda Courtney wrote: "Besides free (or very cheap) books I don't have to give back, there is the added benefit of having more shelf space for the books that I know I actually want to keep. More shelf space? Never a ba..."

Oh, I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's the anti-christ, but it does eliminate many of the physical, aesthetic, and social pleasures that I find in reading. Sure, the story remains intact, but, for me, so much else seems to be lost. I certainly wouldn't suggest that anyone doesn't have the right to own one or that someone who owns one doesn't like to read as much as me. To each his own. It's just not for me.

You know this all boils down to the hit Ben's bookshelf business is going to take, right? :)

Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*) Agree - great review. I have a kindle but it is not even half as enjoyable as reading a book

message 13: by Checkman (new)

Checkman My daughter loves her kindle, but then she's 18. Like you I have my share of technology (example: I own a computer and I'm active on Goodreads - an Internet site), but I won't give up my books. In that respect I'm well on the other side of the generation gap.

Amanda Erin *Paperback Stash* wrote: "Agree - great review. I have a kindle but it is not even half as enjoyable as reading a book"

Paper just has a better feel for me. I think it's because so much of my day involves staring at a screen that being able to sit with a book feels like more of a treat.

Amanda Checkman wrote: "My daughter loves her kindle, but then she's 18. Like you I have my share of technology (example: I own a computer and I'm active on Goodreads - an Internet site), but I won't give up my books. In ..."

I keep thinking that I'll start seeing more and more of my students prefer e-books, but so far many of them continue to prefer paper books. They have Kindles and Nooks and sometimes read on them, but my heart does a little dance of joy when I see them turn it off and gravitate toward the books on the shelves.

Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*) Amanda wrote: "Erin *Paperback Stash* wrote: "Agree - great review. I have a kindle but it is not even half as enjoyable as reading a book"

Paper just has a better feel for me. I think it's because so much of m..."

I think that's part of it for me too. I spend all day at work on the computer, a lot of it at home, games on the computer and TV, and on my phone. Books are a nice peaceful break sometimes.

message 9: by mark (new)

Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*) LOL!!!! I officially love that drawing. So cute.

Amanda Wait a second . . . who knew about my ink?!!? That's right beside my "Book Slut" tat.

Ronyell Awesome review Amanda!! I loved this book also!!

Amanda Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Amanda!! I loved this book also!!"

Thanks! It's one of my "in praise of books" favorites.

Amanda Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Amanda!! I loved this book also!!"

Thanks! It's one of my "in praise of books" favorites.

Ronyell Amanda wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Amanda!! I loved this book also!!"

Thanks! It's one of my "in praise of books" favorites."

That's awesome! Checking that shelf out!

Amanda Ronyell wrote: "That's awesome! Checking that shelf out!"

Oh, I don't have it as an official shelf--it was just the way I categorize it in my head. But now I think I need to rectify that and create one!

Ronyell Amanda wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "That's awesome! Checking that shelf out!"

Yeah! That would be great!