Tracy's Reviews > Beige

Beige by Cecil Castellucci

Jan 11, 08

bookshelves: awesome-ya
Read in January, 2008

Oooh! I Heart Cecil Castellucci even more. I really dug this book. Just like "Boy Proof," you get a well written interior monologue. But, this time, Castellucci describes a newcomer's viewpoint to a certain L.A. scene. In "Boy Proof," Egg was very much an insider and in-the-know. In "Beige," Katy is a very uptight, repressed Canadienne forced to spend two weeks with her punk rock father in L.A. She has to let loose a new aspect of herself as she adapts to a new situation (not a new theme in YA, but one we all love). Castellucci is very good at writing down the process of how girls acknowledge change within themselves and lack of control over events. (Which is very hard for most girls, as we're brought up to be control freaks who can influence and arrange the world so everyone gets the most out of it.) Another fave theme of Castellucci's is "being a good friend" and that crops up here again. Not bad sexy-sexy daydreaming either.

If I were in a YA Lit class, I might explore Castellucci's style (heavily interior monologue) and a less recent YA writer (Danziger? Blume? --not too sure, as it's been a veddy long time) who focuses more on exterior (plot, action) to induce change/growth in a main character. Might even go a bit farther to include films like "Ferris Buehler's Day Off" (possibly my favorite monologues ever--screw Shakespeare, oh wait, what about Rostand?) and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." Or, I could compare Castellucci (the novels) to Castellucci (the graphic novel) to contemplate the pros/cons of her strictly prose and her visual collaborations.

Anyhoo, this is a good book. I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed "The Plain Janes."

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beige.