Live Unit's Reviews > The Last Don

The Last Don by Mario Puzo

Sep 18, 10

Read in September, 2010

I read this book immediately after The Godfather, I shouldn't have done that. Not only is this review skewered by my constant comparison to the Godfather, I couldn't help but trudge through this book with high expectations. None has been met.
The book dragged from the get-go, there were a few interesting parts, but those was far and in-between. Not only did I not enjoy it as much as I thought it would. It was highly predictable and suffice to say, annoying.
None of the characters were fleshed out and the theme was slightly confusing. What annoyed me the most was the high emphasis on sex and beauty. Granted, I'm sure everyone in the world knows how sad Hollywood and the movie business is, The Last Don just kept tossing it my face, every chapter and in every sentence.
"So and so was so beautiful, intelligent, cunning etc...or as not as cunning or as beautiful, but fierce and handsome when smiled...and not to mention...slept with so and so to achieve fame and riches, to push their careers forward...."

I expected so much from this book, but the fact that it was the same recycled plot from his previous novels, should have clued me in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Don.