~Tina~'s Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Dec 07, 10

bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss, arc, sci-fi, young-adult, apocalyptic-dystopian, read-2010
Read from December 02 to 07, 2010

The year is 2060, and the digital world has been relied on so heavily that it's unthinkable to do anything a different way. Everything is done online, from shopping to hooking up, the Net is your answer. Despite Madeline's rebellion streak a couple of years ago, she can't really see a different way out but doesn't stop her from wanting one.
In till she meets Justin on a online study chat room. Justin opens her digital-induced eyes, making her start to feel in flesh and blood and changing how she sees the world of technology.

Katie Kacvinsky successfully achieves an intriguing and thought provoking book in Awaken, and I know that's been said in other reviews but it's the absolute truth.
I love my computer, I seriously would rip my own hair out if I can't get on here and visit the sites that I adore and technology is only improving every single year, so this book could very well be our future. Maybe not as in-depth, but the digital world will only grow from here on in. Scary yes, but it's also pretty fascinating.

All the characters were likable but I think I liked Justin the most. I liked what he stood for even though at times it was a bit much. Him and Maddie made a great pair but the building-relationship stretched on a little to long and I ended up frustrated with them. But other then that I enjoyed this a lot and there are some really great lessons here that made me think. Don't forget there is an actual world outside the box in your home and human contact and the world of the living is very much needed. Time is sweet, so make the most of it.

Bottom line, great characters, an amazing world and the writing is remarkable.
Need to definitely pick up a copy once this hits the shelves, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Special thanks to Netgalley and Houghton Mifflin for giving me the opportunity to read this Awesome debut!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Great review Tina and I totally agree with you, especially on this:

...All the characters were likable but I think I liked Justin the most. I liked what he stood for even though at times it was a bit much. Him and Maddie made a great pair but the building-relationship stretched on a little to long and I ended up frustrated with them....

I knew I could count on you to like Justin ;-)

~Tina~ LOL Thanks! Yeah, I couldn't help it:D Can't wait to find out what happens next!

Jessica Me, too. The ending was a little...um...convenient? But I'm still really curious to see how Maddie's story will continue.

message 4: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Wow! Awesome review Tina! I just got publisher approval last night, so I'll be reading this soon too! Woot!

~Tina~ I think you'll really like this one Arlene. Can't wait to own my a copy!

message 6: by Nic (new)

Nic Great review. This one is getting mixed reviews from the bookers. You liked Justin, others were annoyed by Justin. I wonder if I will like it.

~Tina~ Hard call, your a lot like me in book babes, so maybe:)