Naciulinda's Reviews > Os Maias

Os Maias by Eça de Queirós

Jan 11, 08

bookshelves: alltimefavorites
Recommended for: anyone and everyone age 14 and up.
Read in January, 1995

In Portugal. where I went to high school, this is required reading. It's a classic and a wonderful reflection of Portuguese "high" society at the time, and the critique in a lighthearted and at times humorous way. Although the author also "rubbed elbows" would the upper class, he used his experiences to narrate (changing the names) what he saw and lived, and when published, many were offended and upset as they read their lives being made a mockery of and secrets divulged. in a very catholic oriented society, to write about infidelity, indulgence and betrayals, was shocking and created quite a stir, An excellent example of 19th century literary work that was produced by a new generation of writers; a bolder, more risque in nature than what was written at the time. i have had the privilege to visit most of the locations that are referenced in the book, with book in hand, as part of our Portuguese class curriculum, and occupying a branch on the same family tree, my interest and research has been more extensive, which may influence my review, but i think anyone will enjoy this portuguese classic and it has recently been translated to english and available in bookstores.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Os Maias.