Julie's Reviews > Eternal Rider

Apr 13, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, favorites
Read in April, 2011

Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Eternal Rider is the first book in Larissa Ione’s new series, Lords of Deliverance. It is going to be a four book series and each book will focus on one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse. Reading that, you know these books are going to be filled with bad-ass characters. And knowing that it takes place in the same world as Larissa’s Demonica books, you know you are in for a series unlike anything you’ve read before.

There is a lot going on in this book, but here is the basic gist. Each Horseman/woman has a seal. Once the seal breaks, they become their alter-ego. Reseph’s seal breaks in the very beginning of this book, making him Pestilence. What causes each seal to break varies. If one more seal breaks, the other seals automatically go creating ultimate evil beings and the end of the world. The Horsemen/woman do not want their seals to break, but Pestilence is trying his darndest to shatter Ares’ seal in order to start the apocalypse. Originally, Ares’ fate rested in the hands of a Fallen Angel. But soon after the book begins, it rests in the hands of an ordinary human named Cara. Well, they thought she was ordinary…

Get that? Okay, so it’s actually a little more complicated than that, but that’s what you need to know to follow my review. To know the rest, read the book. Yes, go now. Read the book.

Even though Eternal Rider takes place in the same world as Larissa’s Demonica books, its setting is not exactly the same. There are some pretty complex differences, and most have to do with the characters themselves and how they got to where they are. This means that there is a lot of back story and “prepping” in this book. In fact, the first seven chapters are pretty much equal mix of “here’s what you need to know” and “here’s what’s going on”. I didn’t feel like it was too much though. I’m just mentioning this so you’re not expecting a jump-right-in-fast-paced-story from the get go. (That comes soon enough though.) And you’re thankful for all the info you received in the first chunk of the book because it makes the story that much richer. That is one thing Larissa excels at – her world building.

In Eternal Rider, Ares is War. Well, he will be if and when his seal breaks. Right now, he’s this really tall, really sexy dude who can’t be around others too long or they start beating each other senseless for no apparent reason. So even though he is powerful and rich and all that good stuff you want from your romance hero, he’s also shadowed in this vulnerability that really only comes out when he’s around Cara. I really enjoyed this character. He’s a little out of his element when it comes to the heroine, and I loved watching him squirm.

Cara made me smile the whole way through. She underwent a pretty horrific even a couple years back causing her some anxiety. She has a very special ‘gift’ but it was never fully explored because those who knew she had it made her feel like an outcast. So basically, Cara led a pretty shitty and lonely life until a chance meeting with a Hellhound. No, that’s not my new pet name for Ares. I mean an actual Hellhound. A baby one too! She names him Hal. *g* I really enjoyed that part of the plot. When she meets Ares and everything comes to light about his world and her new part in it, I find she handles it all very well. She’s not overly accepting, but she’s not obnoxious either. And I like how she treats Ares (she stands up to him and puts him in his place – something he is not used to). I found Larissa made a really good match when it came to Ares and Cara. And the little twist so they can get their HEA…Loved it!

I had heard that there would be some cameo appearances from the Demonica characters and I knew they would be fun, but how they came about was absolutely perfect. They weren’t just stuck there to say that they were there (not that I was really expecting that from Larissa…but you never know.) And we got to witness the birth of a very special little one. That really made me smile.

Of course we also meet Ares’ siblings in this book. I liked each and every one of them. Well, I don’t think ‘liked’ is the right word for Pestilence. Creepy, absolute evil, sinister, smack-down worthy…these are words that would work very well for him. Larissa did a great job writing her villain, because he is vile and you want him to hurt. As for the other siblings, Limos and Thanatos, they are smart and fun characters and I am very happy that they will each get their own books.

There are a few reasons why I love Larissa Ione so much. Because her world building is superb, her characters are top notch and her dialogue is smart. But mostly, it’s because she’s just plain awesome. I can’t wait for the next book in this series, Immortal Rider. That’s Limos’ book! I loved where Eternal Rider’s story arc lead us and I love where it’s headed. Overall, a great PNR book. This series is definitely going to be an auto-buy for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal Rider.

04/07/2011 page 304
76.0% ""Your mom is my sunset, and you're my dawn." What a beautiful line!"