Jenn's Reviews > These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Arizona Territories

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

F 50x66
Jan 11, 08

Recommended to Jenn by: Jessica Kern
Recommended for: anyone
Read in October, 2007

Title: These is My Words
Author: Nancy Turner
Genre: fictional diary, family, romance
Pages: 384
Rating (out of 5 stars): *****
Reviewed by: Jenn
Description: This book is a novel written in diary format, as Sarah Prine tells her own story of living in the Arizona Territories from 1881-1901. Over this course of time, the rugged, uneducated, vivacious young Sarah grows into an informed, reflective, sincere (and still feisty) woman. The novel shows the dangers, excitement, injustice, hardship, loss, charm, romance, and value of life in the territories.

Thoughts: This is one of my favorite books of the past year . . . I loved every page of it! Somehow when you read 20 years'-worth of a woman's diary, you grow to know her and love her (and the people in her life) so much. I felt myself laughing aloud every couple of pages about either Sarah's stories or her blunt way of expressing herself. And then I couldn't help but cry every few pages either as I mourned with her, loved with her, and lost with her. This book is a very rich, filling book -- perfect for a fall or winter read. I also must mention that it is one of the sweetest and most fun love stories I have ever read.

Disclaimer: This book has quite a bit of violence and trauma with all the fights between the Indians and the settlers. It also includes some remarks about marital intimacy, very tastefully and subtly described.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Is My Words.