Mandy's Reviews > The Prodigal Daughter

The Prodigal Daughter by Jeffrey Archer

2061740
Sep 18, 10

I listened to this audio book. I didn't realize this was the second in a sort of series, and Nathan checked out the first one after I had already finished this one. I did enjoy this book, although it was slow, and even though at just under the half way point I didnt know what else could go on for the rest of the book.

I really enjoyed the characters. We get to follow Florentina from infantcy through adulthood as she chases her dream to become president of the United States of America. She has two strikes against her to start, being a woman, and the daughter of a Polish immigrant. But through her father's success, and with the help of her governess Miss Treadgold, Florentina is able to gain the skills she needs and will use to hopefully acheive her goal.

I found great hope that an immigrant with little more than the clothes on his back could build an empire worth millions, if not billions of dollars. I also found great hope that with an education, and a desire to acheive, one can accomplish anything. Florentina had to go out on her own at one point with no help from her father financially, and she proved herself using her talents and skills she had learned, and was very successful.

This was also an interesting look into politics. It followed Presidents up until the first Bush, and after that made them up, but the 'politicing' that went on behind the scenes I am sure is accurate even today. It was aggravating to learn about, but also enlightening.

Overall, a good read. A little slow perhaps, but one gains an appreciation for the characters and there is good flow to the story.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prodigal Daughter.