Lisa's Reviews > I'm With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie

bookshelves: 2010, own, interesting-women, music, non-fic
Recommended to Lisa by: Passed on by mum
Recommended for: Claire
Read from September 18 to 21, 2010, read count: 1

So, having had this one passed on to me by mum who was finding it a little self-deluding and sleazy, I wasn't expecting to like Pamela as much as I did.

Always boy-crazy, Miss Pamela started hunting down her favourite rock stars as soon as she was able and was soon very much a staple of the scene during rock's hey-day, becoming one of the original and best known groupies around as well as one of the GTO's - a girl group masterminded by Frank Zappa, making her even better placed to strike up friendships and love affairs with the many weird and wonderful men who crossed her path.

Surprisingly unsalacious and rather sweet, instead of reading like a sad-sack expose of the famous members she's come into contact with you're left with a more abiding sense of the strange sort of innocence and naivety that abounded amongst the girls, in particular, of that age. Although Pamela writes like a slightly breathless teenage girl in the first flush of a whirlwind romance, you can't help but hope along with her whenever she's sat waiting for her latest love to call. Yes, she may have been making herself available to guys who already had tons of girls throwing themselves at them, but you always (or I did, anyway) get a sense of the love that she feels she's giving them rather than her body. If that makes me sound like a flaky hippy, then so be it. I'm also not going to rush to judge her as, if I'd been in the same position, I can't honestly say I'd have been less eager to throw myself on their beds.

A good read that should be on the reading list of anyone even remotely interested in the 60s/70s rock scene.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm With the Band.