Caleb Ross's Reviews > Freedom

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: signed, own, type-hardcover
Read from September 18 to November 07, 2010 — I own a copy

Not exactly a video review, but still an interesting anecdote about Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.

Click the image above to watch the video at YouTube

Hear the amazing, 100% true(ish) story of how I got my copy of Jonathan Franzen’s Freedom signed by the author during an author reading in Kansas City on September 22, 2010. You’ll hear the first-hand account of my bravery in the face of an elderly security guard, the strength of punches needed to take babies down, and why I’m glad Franzen is an author rather than a professional investment broker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom.

09/23/2010 page 117
20.0% "I'm very skeptical of popular media. If most people like a band, movie, or book, I'm annoyingly against it. So it pains me somewhat to say that after 117 pages, "Goddamn, this is a good book.""

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin McKay Miller Most people went meh on this. Interested to hear your thoughts as to why it was so good.

Caleb Ross I was surprised I liked it so much, to be honest. I'm admittedly a hipster when it comes to books (meaning, if one is popular, I am less willing to admit that I like it), but this guy has such a confidence of language that makes me so jealous.

message 3: by Colin (new)

Colin McKay Miller Cool. I might have to give his works a glance some time. I'm guessing lots of it will pop up used soon.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Eckert I almost wanted to hear a bad review about this one. Like you, I'm suspicious of wildly popular literature, especially books by authors that critics fall over themselves to praise. This is why I may never read David Foster Wallace (actually, I did listen to an abridged version of his essays "Consider the Lobster" on audiobook, and I thought the guy sounded like an arrogant prick).

I've heard good things (mostly) about "The Corrections" as well. I'll have to check them out some day.