Mark's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi, mystery, literary, middle-grade

"When You Reach Me" follows Miranda, a young girl living in NY in the 70's, who is writing a letter to a mysterious party at their request. While going through the ups and downs of the average life of a young adult, we learn the "time bending" nature of her letter which changes the lives of those around her.

This book is a rare find that is so perfectly written and genuine, it's almost impossible not to fall into the world that Stead has built. Her narrator is lovable and the supporting characters all feel original and real.

The story seems almost very straightforward except for the time travel twist that shadows it like a cloud,.giving the tone a very unique twist. I felt, at times, that the booked lacked a bit of direction since this idea is one of the over-arching ideas but that it also is oddly missing from large chunks of pages. Still, it's a small complaint since the story is so endearing.

I am very glad that this book has received the accolades it has. It's endearing and refreshing and must read for all fans of YA works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.