elissa's Reviews > Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training

Don't Shoot the Dog! by Karen Pryor

Nov 21, 10

bookshelves: dog_books, nonfiction, my_10s_reads, gave_up

Our dog trainer recommended this, and I've been picking at it for the last couple of days. I think that this year is going to be at least partly about learning more about dogs, for me. This isn't specifically a dog training book, but more of a psychology book. I should try to read more, but reading anything for too long has been so hard for me lately. I've got a whole stack of dog books (from 2 different libraries) that Steve and I are both looking through, in honor of the rescue dog that we've added to our lives (and are teaching to live in our house peacefully). I may start doing some dog-walking, as a way to earn a little bit of money while I decide what to do with the rest of my working life, too. Life as a non-librarian has been challenging so far, but I'm at least using my librarian skills to delve in to a topic that interests me (inspired by a very cute, sweet dog with a sad personal story that our marriage counselor says we should give a good 3 month trial to, even if she barks at cats sometimes right now). I just made myself a new shelf for "dog_books", to go with my longstanding "cat_books" shelf.

This just wasn't doing it for me, so I'm giving up and returning it to the library (2 months after starting it). I liked some of the other dog books better. The TTouch book was probably my favorite.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Shoot the Dog!.