Laura's Reviews > Under Heaven

Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay

Oct 15, 2015

bookshelves: 2010, historical-fantasy
Read from September 18 to 23, 2010

I read through this wonderful, large volume incredibly quickly. I love Kay's writing style. He writes sweeping, dramatic, stirring, epic tales, full of poetry and metaphor, exquisite description, words as clear and shining as crystal. He is master at creating books you won't want to put down - oh so very good at dropping hints and then moving on without being completely clear, and you just have to keep reading to find out what happens next.

Under Heaven is another beautiful example of this. Possibly the least fantastic, and most realistic, of his historical fantasy volumes, this one evokes Tang Dynasty China, with all the courtly intrigue, silk-robed courtesans, black-robed warriors, wandering poets, heavenly horses, and jade-and-gold splendor that go with that era. I loved many of the characters and cared what happened to the them. I disliked others, as I was supposed to. I was kept on the edge of my seat and savored my way through the novel.

I gave it 4.5 because there were some things at the end that didn't jive - were too out of the blue. Some I liked, some I didn't.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Heaven.

09/18/2010 page 12