Erin's Reviews > In Her Shoes

In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner

Oct 01, 10

bookshelves: 21st-century, chick-lit, general-adult-fiction, audiobooks, book-into-movie
Read from September 17 to October 01, 2010

For entertainment purposes, the audio book was not horrible, but I can say with certainty that this book was not a favorite of mine. It was predictable and you know what will happen in the end, but stories about rivaling sisters are always intriguing to me because I grew up with 2 sisters and 1 brother (not that we competed with each other!). Maggie and Rose were compelling characters, Maggie being the sultry, rebellious almost-30-year-old who could not hold down a job, and Rose the very mature older sister who grew up as a very shy, smart, and sweet but self-conscious girl ended up becoming a lawyer who found a man she thought was the man of her dreams. We come to find Rose, Maggie, and said man in a difficult situation. From that evolves a story of how the two grow up in their own way and become comfortable in their own skin. As a third side story, we have Ella, who we find out is the grandmother of the two. It could have been such a great story! I felt it was too long and drawn out, and many parts could have been cut out. Not bad for an audio-book if you commute and need a book you can pay less attention to, but I do not think it would have held my attention in print.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Her Shoes.

09/30/2010
70.0% "Eh, this book is only so-so. I'm not a huge fan of Ella's story, but can now see how she plays a part in the book. So far, 2.5/5. The sisters are fairly entertaining, but it seems too long!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erin I've barely gotten through Disc 1 on the audiobook, but so far so good. Having sisters of my own and knowing what it was like to be completive (mostly while younger, I am able to relate to the two main characters. I'm hoping for more humor, but am pleased with what is happening so far. Definitely not for someone looking for a literary piece of art... great for the commute... not much thinking required.

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt I've seen the film, which isn't bad - definitely a chick-flick, though. lol.

Erin Haha, I'm sure! Eh, it's just good for commuting. I have to listen to books that do not require much attention, that's for sure!