Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Raw Blue

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: new-adult-college, dark-or-taboo, realistic-general-or-lit-fiction
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Isamlq
Read in June, 2012

3.5 stars, although the book deserves more stars than this. I'll explain my rating later.
I wonder if that's true, if he'd still want me knowing who'd been there before him and what they did.

This is a book about the aftereffects of rape and abuse. It's not pretty, it's not fluffy, there's no "feel good" romance to soften the blow.

This book is a prime example of just how hard it is to heal after going through sexual assault. I recently read another book dealing with a similar subject (Easy) and while I rated that one higher strictly for entertainment value, I still felt like something was missing while I was reading it. Afterward, as I went back and finished this book, the realization of what was missing hit me. Romance is tricky path to walk after you've been emotionally and physically traumatized. In the book Easy, the process for Jackie was much more simple than the same situation would have been for something going through the same thing in real life. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time but knew there was something holding me back from going higher than a 4 star rating on that book. It was entertaining; I swooned at the romance; I enjoyed the book and will continue to recommend it to others...but yeah...sexual assault isn't the best jumping off point for starting a romance. Here's how Carly in Raw Blue felt :
I think that the person who was raped should own the copyright on what happened to them.

I can't watch these shows. The way they treat it, as thought it was nothing, just a thing, a fact. Rape for entertainment value.

So does this mean that Raw Blue is all doom and gloom? Does our girl get her shot at happiness? No, the book is not all depressing. The tone is serious and a bit melancholy in places, but Carly does find her start on the long road to healing. She even manages to find a person who might be someone to help her learn to trust again. The romance took a while to develop but it was sweet to watch as Carly took baby steps out into an entirely new world for her.

I'm taking a sec to address the terminology here...
It's an Australian book and I had a hard time with some of the terms. Yes, I'm embarrassed to have so many great friends from this country, yet I'm still completely clueless. A vacation overseas might be in order.

My poor Nook was hating me because its very "American" dictionary didn't have the definitions for most of these words :

If the book was good, why not a higher rating?
Someone should have told me that this was like a Marchetta book, where if you push past the first section, you'll be rewarded for your effort in spades. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware and ended up reading this book in parts. Frankly, the first 30% didn't grab me. Nothing was happening other than Carly's daily routine, which was pretty boring. So I put the book away to catch up on other stuff, which killed it for me, trying to come back much later and finish. I was confused at first, trying to remember the characters. However, the last half of the book was astonishing. Carly's journey was inspiring to watch. Her flashbacks made me emotional. The ending was perfect. Had I read this book in one sitting, I probably would have figured a 4 to 4.5 rating because when you put the parts together as one sum, there is a story worth telling.
I rode the foam all the way in. Even now I can remember the magic of it : the sensation of movement, the way time slowed, and that one moment lasted forever. As I'd expected the feat had gone ignored, but it didn't matter. The gift was mine. I didn't need them any more. I had that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog haha, do you need me to translate?

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus Happy to help translate anything lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) If you guys are still around, you can translate for me now all of the terms I listed in the review. :p

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus ~ bitumen (best I gathered was some sort of paving material), rashie, Moulinex (an appliance?), fibro, doona, donga, singlet (tank top I think)

Bitumen - Is like Asphalt. It's what our roads are made from. Usually shortened to "Bitcho"
Rashie- Is for "rash vest". It's what Surfers wear, you know the spandex type tshirt's? Can be long sleeve or short sleeve.
Moulinex- A brand of food processor
Fibro - Fibre cement sheet or asbestos cement sheet.
Doona - Comforter or Quilt
Donga - Depends how it was used in the sentence... LOL
Singlet - Yep a singlet is a tank top

^_^ Hope this helped!
We tend to shorten everything! Or add an O to the end of it.
For example if your names Robert, we will call you Robbo.

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus great review too btw!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks for playing translator for me! I'm much less confused now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh and I think she was wearing the donga.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog wearing a donga??? In WA a donga is a place where people live on Mine Sites....it's like a little mobile home.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I guess I was way off. I just went and checked my bookmark and it said...

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus LOL whoopsie

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Stacia ~ the professional insomniac wrote: "I guess I was way off. I just went and checked my bookmark and it said...

I think of Ryan somewhere in central Queensland in a donga, lying on his bed, talking on the phone."

You had me racking my brain there thinking what it could be. Yep, it's a small room. Terrible name for it.

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus LOL I thought it was that.. but thought I'd better get the sentence.. cos my Grandpa calls a stick a "donga"

"Kell, get us that big donga over there so I can throw it for the dog" etc

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Kellie wrote: "LOL I thought it was that.. but thought I'd better get the sentence.. cos my Grandpa calls a stick a "donga"

"Kell, get us that big donga over there so I can throw it for the dog" etc"

Hahaha Kellie, it's also what they call a blokes crown jewels.

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus Depends how it was used in the sentence... LOL

yep that was what my LOL was for at the end of my sentence.. A house a big ass stick or....
LOL

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Kellie wrote: " Depends how it was used in the sentence... LOL

LOL"

hehehe

message 16: by Searock (new)

Searock LOL'd, the whole thread.

Stacia (the 2010 club) These girls were being quite funny.

I'm going to say in my defense that if you go back and read the donga sentence, you can kind of misconstrue being in a donga for a clothing item if you didn't know the context.

BTW...I'm so gonna use donga as slang for penis now.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog hahaha! donga away!

message 19: by Giedre (new)

Giedre Then perhaps it should be "dong" instead of "donga".

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus oh we have a total different language over here! LOL

message 21: by Giedre (new)

Giedre lol :)

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Kellie wrote: "oh we have a total different language over here! LOL"

haha! we sure do!

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ ive been wanting to read this one too...LOL! im glad u mentioned the Australian terms because i definitely wouldve been clueless!