Kerri Stebbins's Reviews > Mockingjay

Sep 17, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in September, 2012

September 10, 2012:
1. Finnick is a more dynamic and likable character than Katniss could ever be.
2. I can't believe I'd forgotten how unresolved Collins leaves...everything.
3. For all the talk about assassinating Inherently Evil Snow, the way Collins lets Katniss be in a morphling coma for his entire trial, and then lets him die as almost an afterthought would be laughable if it weren't so lame.
4. Likewise, Katniss killing Coin and then disappearing for a month while her fate is arbitrarily decided. Lame, and boring.
5. Pointless epilogue. No, really. Someone tell me why we're supposed to care that Peeta eventually talked her into having babies. It just makes Katniss sad, and even more unlikable, and makes me feel sorry for Peeta.

September 17, 2010:
I just finished this book (and thus, the series) tonight, and I can't really decide what I think/feel/what I want to write here quite yet. Stay tuned.

Updated to add: I would have been so happy had Katniss ended up "accidentally" shooting both Gale and Peeta. I mean, honestly. Love triangles are so tired (and in this book especially: so unnecessary).* And so was I by the end of this series.

*This reminds me of another reason to dig Rowling and the HP series: She never turned the deep friendship trifecta that was Harry/Hermione/Ron into some convoluted and self-involved "Is it love?/It's love!/No wait, it's not! I think it's maybe just indigestion!/No wait, IT IS love, but don't worry, I'm going to pretend IT ISN'T/blah blah blah and so on and so on" tangled triangle.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Marci I was totally riveted throughout, and I read the final book in ONE DAY. When I finished, I felt like someone ripped my heart out. Why? It's YA literature! This, I ponder...

I'm not sure how I feel (altogether) after the final installment, either.

Related: For all my love, this series gave me nightmares. Maybe it's because I have two girls?

Kerri Stebbins I agree the premise itself is equal parts intriguing and horrifying. I was definitely hooked, but as I'm never really a fan of a series ending when I'm supremely enjoying it, I suppose I was destined to feel pretty "meh" about Mockingjay. I also feel like "meh" is a perfect word to describe Katniss' final "decision" re: Peeta and Gale, and I have to say by the end of the third book for the amount of passion she had about either of them (and the amount of nonsense back-and-forth Collins added to that particular story-line), I honestly would have preferred she chose neither and went to be a hermit in the woods with her sweet bow and arrow skills.