Alisha's Reviews > Saturday Morning: A Novel

Saturday Morning by Lauraine Snelling

Sep 18, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, lt-win, spiritual
Read in September, 2010

For some strange reason, a big chunk of the books that I win due to Goodreads or LibraryThing, tend to be Christian-Fiction. The weird thing about that is that I don't realize that they are actually Christian-Fiction. Now, if I were religious, I would be inclined to say that something like that is divine intervention. But since I'm not, I'm just going to say that I need start reading the descriptions of the books I sign up for much more thoroughly. Just to avoid reading a genre that I don't necessarily love. That way I won't feel like an idiot when I say that I didn't love a Christian-Fiction book because it was too preachy since being preachy is pretty much a staple in Christian-Fiction books.

I've read about three, maybe four Inspirational books and I've only really liked Beaded Hope because it wasn't too preachy. Obviously, prayer was a big part of the characters' lives, but I didn't feel like the author was going overboard. In Saturday Morning, every other page was about God. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but as someone who isn't religious, it did end up being a bit much. So, those parts were sort of skimmed over.

The rest of Saturday Morning was pretty good. While I didn't truly connect with any of the characters, I did enjoy their storylines. I absolutely loved Andy's storyline with her husband. Every time he tried to get her to fit into his perfect mold, she would just dish out the "This is the way it's going to be" attitude and I just found the whole thing endlessly amusing before it turned all angsty. I also really liked the J House storyline. I was in awe at what all the women were doing to help out the less fortunate.

All in all, I thought that Saturday Morning was an okay novel. I did think the resolution of everything was a bit out there, but that just might be because of my skepticism towards the notion that prayer solves everything. Saturday Morning was a mildly enjoyable and extremely quick read, so I can't complain. I'll just have to look a little closer next time I'm signing up for giveaways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saturday Morning.

09/17/2010 page 107