Ami's Reviews > Aaron's Wait

Aaron's Wait by Dorien Grey

Sep 20, 10

bookshelves: gay-fiction, detective-mystery-thriller
Read from September 17 to 21, 2010

Elliott Smith works in buying and renovating small apartment building. One day, his boyfriend, Steve, whom he has been seeing for several months, informs him about a property that Steve came across. Elliott agrees to check, quickly drawn to the place, and decides to take the building as his new restoration project. Until Elliott realizes, the building comes with a "ghost". It seems that the ghost (Aaron Stiles) will not let the building being sold peacefully. Of course, Elliott has a help from John but he is not a detective, right? So how can he solve a case that happened four years ago?

To be honest, I don't remember a lot from the first book, "His Name is John", which is where Elliott meets his non-corporeal friend, John, and his boyfriend Steve. I guess I appreciate the second book better. It's nice to see an established pairing in the series - Elliott and Steve seem to be on the right path to HEA. Also, having John as "Elliott's partner-in-cime" is also enjoyable, considering that he's a dead man who only talks to Elliott in his mind during sleep :)

However, despite this, there are still few things that nagging me, which prevent me from giving it a 4 stars:

First, I feel that the crime solving part is rather flat. I know that Elliott is NOT a detective, thus the minimum "threat or action" like I read in other mystery. But it feels a bit, I don't know, uhm, mundane because it is being "interrupted" often by the daily activities/life of Elliott.

Second, I still cannot click enough with Elliott. It's like there is a distance between him and myself as a reader. I find myself more interested in Steve and John, to be honest. Since Elliott IS the one get narrated in this story, it puts a bit of an issue.

Third, I'm a bit annoyed with how Elliott tried to keep Steve away from him solving the case. Especially hiding the fact about John. They have been seeing each other for months, and Steve also has a deep empathy in non-worldly things, and I'm sure Steve will be very accepting.

BUT, despite all of this, it's still a nice mystery to read. I will check out another book in this series, if there is any in the future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aaron's Wait.

09/17/2010
10.0% "read the first book last year, hope i can still remember for 2nd book"
09/20/2010
20.0% "Wish I remember more about the first book :p"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami Sure thing. I'm switching 3 books at the same time. Let's see which of them I finish first

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars