Melinda Elizabeth's Reviews > Missing

Missing by Karin Alvtegen

Sep 17, 10

Read in September, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book struck me as a poor attempt at fan fiction. Its the only description I can adequately provide. It felt as though someone had attempted to write a novel, tried to put all the usual twists and turns in, but to me it just fell short.

The main character was not particularly likable. The 15 year old kid that managed to save the day made me cringe. The ending seemed too convenient.

**Spoiler alert!**
The start of the book was promising, with feelings of "they are hunting the wrong person!" giving the first part of the book a bit of an edge.

But when the flashbacks into the main characters childhood started, the story started to fall apart. The back stories (such as the woman's mental illness)irritated me. Why would she be suffering from blackouts etc as a child, to the point where she needed to be hospitalised, but be perfectly "normal" without any blackouts etc as an adult? She seemed to be functioning well, and that made the whole mental illness backstory like a filler to make the book a bit longer. I was convinced that the redeeming feature of the book was going to be that she had comitted the murders when she was "blacked out", I was a little sorry to see the ending go the way it did.

I didn't like the murderer (not that you are meant to) because he was just tacked on the last bits of the book. Why did we spend so much time listening to the main character whinge and whine about losing her child and being mentally ill, when in fact it was someone else who was disgruntled about his gay lover passing away who was the real murderer?

Throughout this book I had a permanent grimace on my face. I did not enjoy reading it at all, and was rather pleased that it was short and ended quickly.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Missing.