Abish's Reviews > Bloodroot

Bloodroot by Amy Greene

Sep 17, 2010

Read in March, 2010

This was an impulse read that wasn't on my "to read" list. I decided to read it because it seemed pretty popular for a debut novel and sounded interesting. I liked the book but I'm still deciding what I think about it. It's not a very upbeat story.

The story follows the lives of people who are connected to the main character Myra Lamb. It starts out following her grandmother as you find out that the family has been cursed by a jealous cousin and is followed by tragedy. Myra's mother was the last surviving child of 5 children until she meets a tragic end a year after Myra is born. Myra ends up living with her grandmother until she falls in love and gets married to John Odom. Shortly after getting married things change in the marriage for the worst. I won't say what happens but in the book you find out that Myra ends up back on Bloodroot Mountain living in her grandmother's house with her twin boy and girl. You find out as the story follows the twins, that Myra has been broken and rarely shows the twins any love. Tragedy continues to follow each family member until the end of the book when there is finally a small glimmer of hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodroot.