Ci546_manuelanavarro's Reviews > Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith

F_50x66
Oct 30, 10

bookshelves: info-bios
Read from October 23 to 30, 2010

It was painful reading this book. I did not enjoy it in the least until Charles and Emma got married and began having children. The narration of Charles' work and theories was absolutely dreadful. The only parts I honestly did not mind reading were the parts about the children. The only parts of the book where Charles Darwin, and even Emma to some degree, were real people were the chapters about the death of their children.

I guess I am just not that interested in the life of Charles Darwin, although I can see the benefit of his theories to the scientific world and its significance to education. I just can not be excited enough to use this text in my own class, and the many references to science turn off a reader who is not particularly into science or Charles Darwin. Painful to read sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charles and Emma.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ci546_marissaojeda I agree, it was a bit painful for me too. It did not push me to keep reading at all.

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Manuela, it may not be that you are not interested in the life of Charles Darwin. I think it is simply that this book was so dry! I love reading biographies of many historical characters, but I did not get through this book easily. I think the story of the marriage between Charles and Emma, the deaths of their children, and the publication of his book, simply could have been told in a much more engaging manner. Like we discussed in class, the book could have been made more engaging by incorporating pictures among the text. But really, it would have helped most if many of the smallest details were simply left out.