Mel's Reviews > The Gentleman and the Rogue

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie Dee

Oct 20, 2010

bookshelves: e-book, m-m, historical, favorites
Recommended to Mel by: Nightcolors

Former Commander – now Sir- Alan Watleigh is fed up with life. Having lived through the horrors of Badajoz, only to come home and learn that his family died of a terrible fever, and constantly chastising himself for his 'sinful perversities', Alan has given up the fight. On his self proclaimed last night on earth, he allows himself one indulgence: a night with a male prostitute. His eye is caught by the vibrant Jem whom he takes home. But the night has many surprises and Jem turns out to be more than just a few hours of fun. He amazes Alan, makes him laugh, makes him angry, makes him feel. And so Jem becomes the little spark of light that Alan needs to hold on to life.

The Gentleman and the Rogue is a wonderful and gripping tale of two men finding love. The men couldn’t be further apart: Alan is high bred, disciplined, dark and brooding. Jem is a street kid, cunning, youthful and vibrant. Both men have been through a lot and have evasive tendencies when it comes to dealing with raw emotion. But where Alan inclines towards glooming, Jem finds humor helps him deal. It’s the same humor that he uses to make Alan smile and endears him to us readers.

Jem is truly a wonderful character. His wit, charm and playfulness captures your heart and it’s no surprise he captures Alan’s too. I loved the way the men’s relationship was described. The emotions, the thoughts of pleasure, guilt and love, the sex.

My minor complaint is about the action plot which was weaved in about halfway the story. It wasn’t badly done. And afterall: Alan needed to face the demons of his past and little Ann was an interesting character. But I didn’t think it was necessary. I don’t think a(nother) traumatic experience was needed for the men to deal with their feelings and come together. I for one would have been more than happy to see the two men's love unfold while going through the motions of their everyday lives.
I was also surprised to see that the age difference between the characters (Alan is more than 20 years Jem’s senior) wasn’t touched upon at all.

But despite my peeves, The Gentleman and the Rogue was a wonderfully gripping and endearing tale. A must read for all who love romance, especially historical romance.
4,5 stars
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gentleman and the Rogue.

Bark's Book Nonsense Jem was such a doll. I loved this one. Have you read any of their other collaborations?

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I think Seducing Stephen is their only other collaboration (although I read that they're working on something together around now). It's on my 'to buy asap' list :)

message 3: by Kate (last edited Nov 12, 2010 04:28PM) (new) - added it

Kate Mel wrote: "I think Seducing Stephen is their only other collaboration (although I read that they're working on something together around now). It's on my 'to buy asap' list :)"

Hi, We just released another book, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/96... The Nobleman and the spy...
/end advertising.
Thanks for the review!
Kate Rothwell who writes as Summer Devon

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Thanks!
I added the book :)

message 5: by Kate (last edited Nov 12, 2010 04:54PM) (new) - added it

Kate Kate wrote: "Mel wrote: "I think Seducing Stephen is their only other collaboration (although I read that they're working on something together around now). It's on my 'to buy asap' list :)"

OH! I forgot. We just signed a contract for a fourth, tentatively titled House of Mirrors. That's set in a turn of the 20th century carnival.
Kate/Summer again.

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Wow that's great news! :)