Jill's Reviews > It's Like This, Cat

It's Like This, Cat by Emily Cheney Neville

Sep 18, 10

bookshelves: newbery-medal
Recommended for: wouldn't recommend it
Read from September 17 to 18, 2010

1964 Newbery Winner.
I can't understand the high number of positive reviews for this book. Well, one of the other reviewers summed it up pretty well: "I'm sure that one of the reasons I like this book is because I like cats so much. Another reason that I like it is because I like to read and learn about the 50's and early 60's." Boom. I'm not crazy about cats, and I wasn't crazy about this book! It's not much more than a walking tour of New York City. A Wrinkle in Time, probably the best young adult book I've ever read, won in 63 so it's not that there weren't other good books coming out around that time. No clue why this won. I found the voice of the main character annoying and the plot (if you can call it a plot) weak. It nearly bored me to tears.

"Actually, my pop jaws so long it'd be a relief if he did haul off and hit me, but he never does."

"Pop asks me if I want to go to a camp in a few weeks but I don't. Life is pretty slow at home but I don't feel like all that organization."

"My family is starting to collect people the way Kate collects homeless cats. Of course, Kate and Tom aren't homeless. They're people-less--not part of any family. I think Mom always wanted more people to take care of, so she's glad to have them."

"Twenty years, I think. That's a long time not to be speaking to your own brother, and him living just a ten-cent phone call away. I wonder. She couldn't just not give a hoot about him. They must have been real mad at each other. And mad at the whole world, too. Makes you wonder what kind of parents they had, with one of them growing up loving only cats and the other only money."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Like This, Cat.